Applications for the Belvedere Fund for Professional Development in the Field of Crafts at Maine College of Art will open in January 2014. Alumni who hold a BFA degree and have graduated within the last ten years are eligible to apply. Grants of up to $1,500 will be awarded through a competitive review process.
Applicants must be working in the crafts field, including, but not limited to metalsmithing, jewelry, woodworking, furniture design, ceramics, or fiber arts.
- Must have received a BFA degree from Maine College of Art within the last ten years. Winter 2013 eligible graduating classes are 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Acceptable use of funds include, but are not limited to: travel and fees associated with professional conferences, tuition or travel funds related to residencies or other educational opportunities to enhance professional practice; equipment or materials critical to grow/enhance professional practice; costs related to starting a business in a relevant craft field
- In general, grant funds will not cover operating expenses such as rent/lease, utilities, or other routine expenses, or tuition to a degree-granting program.
- Grant must be spent within 12 months of receipt of funds
- Must provide documentation of expenses and a written summary of use of funds within one year of receipt (no additional funds will be granted if reports are not completed).
- Must not have received a grant from this fund within the past 12 months.
Prepare the following information in advance of completing your online application and save it in a folder on your desktop:
- A written request for funds detailing how the grant will be used to advance one’s professional career in the crafts not to exceed two pages in length.
- Budget detailing how funds will be used.
- 10 digital images: Only digital images will be reviewed for submission. Format all images as jpgs with minimum dimensions of 600 x 800 pixels and a maximum of 1024 pixels per side, saved at a resolution of 72 dpi. Name digital images with the following format: yourlastname1.jpg, yourlastname2.jpg, etc. Do not include any spaces, dashes, or other symbols in the file name. Images size must not exceed 1M each. All works submitted must be completed within the last two years.
- Image information: title, date, media, and physical dimensions. Do not include any symbols in the image information.
Note: All documents listed above should be saved as a Word document or a PDF.
Application deadline is 5:00pm March 12, 2014. Late and incomplete proposals will not be accepted.
A committee consisting of the Dean of the College, two members of the BFA faculty, one member of the crafts community, and one member of the Advancement office will review the applications. Grant proposals will be reviewed on a competitive basis using the following criteria: artistic excellence, evidence that funds will advance professional development of the applicant, ability to use the funds appropriately.
Questions? Contact Jill Dalton, Associate Director of Alumni Relations and Director of Alumni Relations at 207.699.5018 or alums@MECA.edu